Here’s a confession – I never go Christmas shopping. Ever. I do always have good intentions to buy gifts early, wrap them nicely and write a sweet card wishing everyone the best for the Holiday Season… but it never happens. Usually, my sister will shop for family and friends. She is ultra organized, actually shops throughout the year places the gifts in a large box so that come December everyone has a very nice gift from her… and usually from me too as I always ask her to “add my name” to the card she writes… Sometimes, if it’s someone she doesn’t know, at the last minute I’ve been known to panic shop, tell people “close your eyes and put your hands out” and then place an unwrapped gift in their hands. It’s a bad habit which I intend to break this year.
So, to kick off the Christmas season, I’ve decided to introduce a series called “All They Want For Christmas!”. The intention is to come up with food ideas for Christmas gifts that I think friends and family would want.
The first recipe in the series I call the Practically Perfect Chocolate Christmas Cookie – it’s a chocolate cookie made with dark lindt chocolate, studded with fruit and nut, in this case, cranberries and pistachios – the two of which I associate with the holiday season. These cookies are crisp on the outside but maintain that fudge like centre – just the way a perfect cookie should be!
Recipe (makes 15 pieces)
- 125 grams lindt chocolate, 70% cocoa, chopped
- 75 grams flour
- 30 grams dutch processed cocoa powder
- 50 grams butter
- 120 grams brown sugar
- 3/4 teaspoon baking soda
- 1 egg
- 40 grams unsalted pistachios
- 40 grams dried cranberries
- Melt the chocolate by placing it in a microwave safe bowl and heating the chocolate for around 45 seconds at 15 second intervals. Allow to cool slightly.
- In the meantime, cream the sugar and the butter until pale and then add the egg.
- In a separate bowl, mix the flour, cocoa powder and baking soda.
- Add the dry ingredients to the batter, a third at a time.
- Next, add the melted chocolate and mix well.
- Fold in the cranberries and pistachios and place in the fridge for around 30 minutes.
- Preheat the oven to 160c (fan forced) and bake the cookies in batches for around 15 minutes. Half way through the baking process, remove the cookies from the oven and press them to flatten slightly with a spatula and then return them to the oven.
- Allow to cool.
Note: The cookies will last for 3 days in an airtight container.