Wicked Oreo C
Excuse the pensive mood lately. I blame it on the New Year which definitely makes me reflect more than usual. One of the things I set out to do in the next month is finally watch the play Wicked. The musical is based on one of my favourite books – Wicked – The Life and Times of the Wicked Witch of the West.
For those who haven’t watched the play or read the book – it revolves around the untold story Elphaba, the Wicked Witch of the West… faced with a miserable childhood and discriminated against because of her green skin tone, despite her good intentions and actions – she remained misunderstood … so … maybe she wasn’t so wicked after all?
Before reading the book, I naturally assumed that she was born Wicked – only to realize that sometimes people behave the way they do for reasons we don’t know about. Who are we to judge people we don’t know? Who are we to judge at all?
Anyway, I originally had the “oreo” cookie in mind and I used black sesame seeds for the outer cookie and a green tea buttercream filling. They reminded me so much of Elphaba. Despite their appearance – please don’t judge them before trying them. Like Elphaba – you might come to even like them?
Black Sesame Cookie Recipe
- 130 grams softened butter
- 110 grams icing sugar. sifted
- 20 grams black sesame seeds
- 120 grams of egg whites (about 4 large, whisked with a fork)
- 130 grams flour, sifted
- black food coloring (optional)
- In a kitchen stand or food processor, blend the butter and icing sugar and black sesame seeds.
- Slowly add in the egg whites but not too quickly as the mixture might split.
- Next, slowly add the flour and if necessary, the black food colouring for extra dark colour.
- Rest the dough around 1 hour before.
- To shape the cookies, I used a sheet of thick plastic which I got from Ikea and cut round molds from them. You can easily substitute with a piping bag, and just pipe out like a cat’s tongue cookie.
- Bake in on greaseproof paper or a silpat mat for 10 minutes in a 180 c fan forced oven.
Green Tea Buttercream Recipe
- 60 grams softened butter
- 100 grams icing sugar, sifted
- 25 grams green tea (matcha) powder
- green food colouring if necessary
- Mix all the ingredients in a bowl until fully amalgamated.
To assemble: Spread some buttercream over one cookie and cover with another.