Awhile back I told my husband – “You must have fed me something!”
“What do you mean?” He asked.
“Well, you know I never used to like you…” I told him.
And I’m still scratching my head thinking about what aphrodisiac he must have fed me to make me fall in love. Could it have been the daily belgian waffles he sent to my office? Or was Cupid’s arrow laced with the triple chocolate layered cake that he would drop off at my home after work? Whatever his recipe was, it worked!
With Valentine’s a few weeks away, here’s a recipe has the three key ingredients to make a sure fire aphrodisiac – oysters, caviar and champagne (vinegar that is!). I have adapted this from one of my favourite cafes in Paris called Cafe Constant. It is owned by Christian Constant who owns several restaurants on the Rue Saint Dominique.
Recipe (Serves 4) – Adapted from Christian Constant
- 12 fresh oysters, cleaned, shells reserved
- 8 sashimi grade scallops, roe removed
- 40 grams Sashimi grade Salmon
- 2 tablespoons ginger, grated
- 2 tablespoons chives, finely chopped
- 2 tablespoons champagne vinegar
- Juice of 1/4 lemon
- salt and pepper to taste
- olive oil
- Caviar, for topping
- Finely chop the oysters, scallops and salmon and set aside in the refrigerator.
- Mix the ginger, lemon juice, champagne vinegar, chives, and olive oil in a separate bowl. Add salt and pepper to taste.
- When ready to serve (not any sooner!), mix the seafood with the dressing and place on top of the reserved oyster shells.
- Top with caviar.