On my last trip to New York I stumbled upon a book called Cakes and Loaves by Ilona Chovancova. It’s been seven months since I managed to use a recipe from it! I remembered the other day that the book had a basic savoury cake recipe that I wanted to share for The Cooking Basics series. This is a fantastic and delicious basic recipe from which you can vary ingredients depending on what you feel like eating, what’s available or what’s in season. Making the cake is effortless – no need for multiple bowls, no need for a mixer (a grater and wooden spoon will do) and I promise it would probably take you less than ten minutes to put together. These cakes can be eaten any time of the day – great for breakfast on the go, for lunch, an afternoon snack or even a light dinner with a salad.
Some tips should you choose to make your own savoury cake:
1. The recipe is for a 23 cm round pan, you can use a loaf or muffin pans but make sure to vary the times if necessary. To test if the cake is down, insert a wooden skewer into the middle of the cake - if it comes out clean – it’s done. Otherwise, continue cooking.
2. If you like to experiment, mix the cake with different types of flour – buckwheat, chestnut, wholewheat or even rye flour but make sure the total amount of flour does not exceed the amount called for in the recipe.
3. The total amount of ingredients you want to add to the basic recipe should not be more than 300 grams.
4. You can also experiment with the oils you use – for example, a mixture of vegetable oil and hazelnut, or olive oil. Make sure the total amount of oil does not exceed the amount called for in the recipe.
5. Feel free to add herbs for more flavour – fresh is always better than dried but use whatever is handy.
Some suggested combinations from the cookbook:
- Spinach and nutmeg
- Chicken and curry
- Salmon and dill
- Sundried tomato
The idea really is to encourage you to use this basic savoury cake recipe and try out your own combinations.
Basic Recipe for Savoury Cakes
Basic Recipe from Ilona Chovancova
- 3 eggs
- 100 ml regular or low fat milk
- 100 ml vegetable oil
- 175 grams flour
- 100 grams grated cheddar cheese
- 1 Tbsp Baking Powder
- salt and pepper to taste
- 2 grated carrots
- 100 grams bacon, diced PLUS 40 grams bacon diced for topping
- Parmesan Cheese for topping
- Pre heat the oven to 180c (fan forced). Butter and flour a 23 cm round cake pan or a regular loaf pan.
- Peel the carrots and grate coarsely.
- In a large bowl combine the eggs, milk and oil and beat together. Add the flour, grated carrots, cheese, and 100 grams bacon. Season with salt and pepper.
- Season with salt and pepper and stir to combine. Gently fold in the baking powder.
- Transfered to the prepared pan and bake for about 40 to 45 minutes or until done. Let cool in the pan before turning out.
- Grate some parmesan cheese over the cake before serving.