“What are you doing?! Really – WHAT are you doing??!” My husband asks with a raised eyebrow.
“Is it not obvious?” I ask as I wave my hands in the air and wiggle my hips. I cross my right hand across my chest, and then make a gesture, as if reaching for my left pocket. Then I raise both my hands in front of me, hands in a fist and pretend to “steer”.
“I am doing the driving dance – my officemate taught me” I tell him.
“It’s all wrong – let me show you how.” He says. Then HE starts bobbing his head to the music, moving his feet, shifting his weight from one side to the other, and then he loses himself to the music.
At this point in time – we’re both dancing and laughing and the dogs are not sure what’s going on!
When we’re done he says “Honestly, I’m not sure if I was laughing with you or at you – you’ve got no sense of rhythm. I can tell you never took ballet lessons.”
This is my take on the iconic Pavlova – I call it the Strawberry Swirl Pavlova. This dessert has a crisp outer meringue shell, blessed with swirls of strawberry puree and inside, a cloud-like, marshmallowy center. On top of this, lightly whipped cream, drizzled with more strawberry puree. Finally, fresh strawberries to crown the dessert.
Yes, I may have two left feet but who cares if you can’t dance when you can express your inner ballerina in other ways!
Strawberry Swirl Pavlova
For the Pavlova
- 125 grams egg whites (from around 4 eggs)
- 175 grams caster sugar
- Pinch of cream of tartar
- 5 ml white vinegar
- Pre-heat the oven to 160 c (fan forced oven)
- Beat the egg whites using an electric mixer with a pinch of the cream of tartar. First at medium speed and once foamy, take the speed up to high.
- Add the sugar in three additions, after each addition beat on high until the sugar is fully incorporated.
- Continue to beat the egg whites until stiff peaks form.
- Add two tablespoons full of the strawberry swirl (see recipe below) but do not mix.
- Spread the strawberry meringue mixture on to the parchment paper and place in the oven.
- Turn down the heat to 90c and bake for 90 minutes.
- Leave the pavlova in the oven until cool.
Strawberry Swirl and Cream Recipe
- 400 grams strawberries
- 15 grams caster sugar
- 1 teaspoon lemon juice
- 250 ml cream
- Using a food processor, puree the strawberries with the sugar and the lemon juice.
- Strain the puree in a bowl and reserve for later use.
- Meanwhile, whip the cream until semi-stiff peaks.
- To assemble, place the cream over the cooled pavlova and the remaining strawberry puree. Top with the remaining strawberries.