What a year 2010 was! As I reflect on the year that’s just past, I can’t help but feel grateful (despite many, many stressful moments) to be where I am at this point in my life. My top five unforgettable moments this year:
1. Hong Kong in February for a girls only weekend. It was the first time in ages that we had an exclusive “girls”-cursion which included my Mom, sisters and aunt. Lots of eating, shopping and bonding. I could tell you more about what we did but what happened in Hong Kong, stays in Hong Kong…
2. Watching the birth of my nephew James – Last July I was with my sister and her husband when my nephew James was born after more than 13 hours in labour. In exchange? I was given the honour of cutting his umbilical cord (well, more like my brother-in-law was too queasy to do it) and being named his godmother.
3. Teaching my first macaron class – In August I taught my first macaron class at The Essential Ingredient. I was so worried about making sure my class ran smoothly that I actually took leave off work two days before the first class to practice, practice, and practice some more!
4. Moving homes is one of the most stressful things I did this year. Especially when the move required two trips using a ten ton truck, a month of packing, twelve hours of moving, and three days completely devoted to unpacking (we’re still unpacking bits and pieces until today). There were times when I wondered to myself “is it worth it?”… looking around now, I can say it was definitely worth it. But let me tell you, I never want to move homes again!
5. Changing Jobs – I had reached a plateau with my previous job but I was also hesitant to make the change to do something new. With the encouragement of friends and family, I finally decided it was time to move on after four years. I am extremely excited to be working with a committed and successful team when I get back to work in the new year.
So what’s instore for 2011?
I wouldn’t even want to take a guess because had someone told me this time last year that I would do any of the following: go to Hong Kong for a bonding session, be present for my nephew’s birth, teach a macaron class, move home or change job – I would have told them that they were crazy…. and to think I did all of that in the last year alone!
So whatever happens in 2011, I say bring it on. If 2010 is any indication – it’s going to be an exciting year!